So I'm cruising the NFL website, which if your a football fan is vitally important during the non-football months. Helps with the sanity.
On the front page is a picture of Mike Williams, the former first round pick of the Detroit Lions that turned into a monumental bust. It's an interesting read, one of potential redemption after years of self inflicted destruction.
HOWEVER
What caught my eye, was that pic of Williams on the front page, shows him, in his jersey. His jersey has an emblem on it. Not the NFL, or Rebook, or even the angry blue bird that is the symbol for the Seahawks.
It was the sign for BING...the Internet search engine.
Really?
When I see someone run a go-route, I instantly think about searching for a good rib joint?
Now to give a bit of perspective, there was a time when players couldn't have their names on the back of jerseys to prevent individuality. Players are told not to take off helmets, it shows up the other team, and, incidentally, lets other people know what you look like...right.
But were gonna sell ad-space on your torso, don't sweat it, might make the label fall off.
I know, I know, ball players make enough, so why stress it. But this isn't about them, it's about the inundation of product placement we see now. Even the Madden franchise isn't above all this. Every loading screen has an ad from a company, companies that wont pay for ads in newspapers, why, well, cause...no one reads anymore.
Yeah...
It's just getting to be too much.
No comments:
Post a Comment