Friday, April 30, 2010

Giants fans start your engines.

Three years have passed since arguably the greatest football game ever played ended. The pass from Eli to Plax that scored a touchdown and singled the end of an unbeaten season is no more than a highlight at NFL films. The Giants were at the top of the football world. The Yankees took a step back for a moment, the Knicks raised their heads from their pity wallowing. NY stood proud.

Well, that was a nice moment. But like most things football, it was a fleeting thing. Three years is a long time, and after a flurry of injuries, controversy, and lack luster play, the Giants are in a position to re-take the thrown.

But first there are some things to consider.

Eli Manning, while not the living cyborg his brother is, has carved a place for himself on the list of quarterbacks you don't take lightly. He has a group of young spry wideouts that do everything from run slants to make numerous people miss in the open field. The offensive line, while not as dominant as we would like, it is intact, with young depth ready to step in when asked.

However, there are...issues.

Brandon Jacobs just wont cut it. Yes he is 265 pounds and yes he can run down field like a freight train, but he is not an every down back.

Sorry all you replica jersey buyers, but the best Giant to wear 27 is and always will be Rodney Hampton.

It would be nice if Ahmad Bradshaw could be that combo back to fill in, but he does not play in that style, that was Derrick Ward, and as far as I know, he is not coming back. On the football field he is the living embodiment of a Napoleon complex, pounding the ball inside, banging out with linebackers and DT's like he's 40 pounds heavier than he really is.

It might get the fans and the defense fired up, but it will cut his career short, that and his awkward jump cut style that puts tremendous strain on his legs. Three more years and he's a fond memory.

Kevin Boss is under-utilized. All of you have gone on YouTube and seen big 89 hurdling an Eagles defender, you've seen the acrobatic catches and the good run blocking. You've also seen Chris Cooley of the Redskins and Shockey down in New Orleans and said "hey why don't we do that with Kevin?"

Hell if I know, but somebody send a memo to the offensive coordinators.

Our defense was bad...the worst I have ever seen. We might have had games were we couldn't get it together in the past, but not for an entire season.

It was not enough to blame injuries. Even with second stringers, you should be able to force a few 4 and outs.

Our defensive line was not a defensive line, it was Justin Tuck and the Pips. Tuck is one of the best ball players in the business. No one else, out side of Jason Taylor has been asked to do as much at the defensive line position. Going from end, to tackle, to standing up and rushing from an outside or inside linebacker positions, Tuck played hard, he played hurt and he did the best he could.

Thing is, the four other dudes just...stank.

Osi Umenyiora is over-rated. Pass rushing is nice, but just like great ball handlers in the NBA, if you can do no more than a cross-over, people figure you out and take you out. That's what happened to him.

Our linebackers ran like speed was a bad word.

Thanks for all the games Antonio, but before the injury, you couldn't cover. That is a liability. While I hope the next middle linebacker is as willing to fill a hole as you were, I pray he can run with a fullback out in the flat.

The secondary, well, lets not go there. All I have to say is, let Corey Webster...BE COREY WEBSTER...he had his best season under Spags, when he was allowed to bump and run, press and fight. Dropping him back in coverage takes away from his game. Some corners run fast, others do well in zone, and others just like to beat wide receivers up. That's Corey Webster.

I hope Antrel Rolle is Antrel Rolle and not another Tito Wooten waiting to happen. I doubt it, the man is a beast, but, this is football, you never know.

I've written alot.

What exactly am I getting at.

Well, I'm laying to table, pointing out what needs attention. In the next blogs I'll let it be known what I think about the draft picks, off-season moves, and the schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment